Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oh what a day !

I rose this morning in East Jerusalem at the National Hotel, where I experienced the finest hospitality of any hotel in my life. By mid-morning we stood on a rocky desert rise in the Wadi Qelt overlooking St. George's Monastery - stunning beauty in deep geographic isolation. To Know God. I imagine at St. George's one may flee the noise on the outside and begin to quiet the noise on the inside. Amen. Perhaps someday I may visit this remote community.

A desert whirl followed.....the Qumran caves where a Bedouin boy discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls and Masada where ancient Jews chose death over slavery. In the afternoon, we took a frivilous float in the Dead Sea. Tired, sweaty, shekel-less, and happy, I arrived in Eilat. After dinner, a shower, good conversation and an ATM, I remain tired and happy......but not so sweaty, and my coffers are restored. I have so much to be grateful for. Tomorrow....Egypt.
With love from the travelers,
Eugenia Sherman Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment